Family vs. Corporate Owned Funeral Homes
Is there a Difference between family-owned and corporate-owned funeral homes?
Yes! We think it is important to find out if the firm you are using has an investment in your local community or is answerable to some far away board of directors.
Some of the benefits using a family owned and operated funeral home are:
- Because this is our family business we take personal pride in all that we do for you. Corporate owned funeral homes are answerable to a board of directors who in many cases are located outside the country and they in turn are answerable to investors or shareholders whose primary objective is to make a good return on their invested dollars.
- We spend a lot of time working with our staff talking about issues of integrity, trust and other important values. Our attention is devoted to making our funeral home one of the best in Scarborough. Not the biggest, but the best, providing the most excellent service possible to satisfy your needs. Because we are family owned we think it makes us more flexible, more responsive to your needs because you are our neighbour.
- Our primary focus is you not profits. Like any business we need to make a profit in order to exist. Our staff don’t focus on meeting quotas for quarterly bonuses. We don't have pressure from corporate headquarters to increase our profits. We are answerable to you and your needs.
- We have been in the Scarborough community for over 65 years and we want to be around for many more years providing you with the types of funeral products and services that are meaningful and appreciated by you. We understand the importance of building a long-term relationship with you and your family.
- We speak your language. We have numerous individuals on staff from many different cultural backgrounds which help us to understand your customs and religious practices.
- The decisions we make are local and responsive to our community. Not some far away corporate head office located in another country.
- The profits from the Ogden Funeral Home stay in Scarborough and are returned into the business to allow us to continue to grow and improve our facilities, services and products. When we need work to be done in association with our business we support local businesses by hiring them to work with us.
- When the funeral is over and everyone has gone home, we are still here for you. Our staff are committed to just such assistance. We connect with every family we serve after the funeral to help with the completion of various documents and a plan of action addressing various things that must be looked after.
- If you are having problems coping with the loss our aftercare counsellors will get you connected to various local help agencies or organizations to assist you through this difficult time.
When all is said and done, we truly believe that family owned and operated funeral home has more to offer than the corporate owned and operated facilities, conglomerates or cemetery combinations.